Monday, June 23, 2008

Time Warp!

I have to take a little break from the constant cutting and pasting I've been doing. I'm working on a few new paintings. If you are not familiar with my art, I like to make collages of black and white clip art gleaned from old magazines and other various sources. I cut a lot of images out before I head down to my local Kinko's, where I make a sort of themed wall paper out of it all (I have to do that because the ink they use in the printers there doesn't run when I put paint over it). I then lay it all down with flat glue before painting on top of it and then putting it in a vintage frame. the finished products look something like this one:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It's a multi-step process, and it takes a lot of time. I have about 4 paintings going right now, so I've been perusing old magazines and clip art books for days on end. I feel like I'm living in another time! It definitely affects me when I've been doing it for too long. The images and words take hold in my brain and lodge themselves there. My vision is tinted through vintage glasses.
Right now I'm working on Western themes of Old California and warm kitchen themes with home cooking and comfort images in the background. I have a pile of Old West magazines which not only yield great images, but funny stories too... 'Woman Hater: Ned Mersfelder' or 'Catch More Critters!' and 'Texas' Best Hobo'.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I also have a great stack of old Sunset magazines... they are fantastic, with downright beautiful fonts, hilariously funny modern product names, and gorgeous colors and placing.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I like the blue gloved hand holding the product
(or is it a recipe book?) in this cake ad! HA!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Some of the ads are so sexist it's hard to believe! They'd have us all barefoot and in aprons with 2.5 kids and dinner to prepare! Even so, there is a familiar warm and comfortable quality about it all. Something safe. Something known. This one kind of turns me on though... is that bad? HA! HA! HA! Really? Your husband would spank you if he knew you were taking the risk of serving him stale coffee? My oh my!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
O.K. Back to work with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SEO
very usefuhl, thanx a lot for this article ..... This is exactlky what I was lokoing for.