Wednesday, January 23, 2008

FLOODED!

This morning Erin, Etta and I had breakfast at Cajun Kitchen on De La Vina st. It started raining so hard it was sideways! Then came the hail. It looked like it was snowing! Almost the entire restaurant was up on their feet in shock at the weather. There was lightning and booming thunder. The street flooded completely, so much so that the laundromat across the street had it's doors flinging open and closed with the force of the waves from the street. You could not see the sidewalk, cars were in water up to their doors, not a single vehicle could drive through it, they closed the street down, and for a moment it got tense inside the restaurant, as we all thought we might very well be stranded there. There was this weird cohesion between everyone in there, instead of the way people normally go about their business ignoring everyone else, people were talking excitedly to one another and strangers were standing side by side at the window in awe.
I was ecstatic. I love weather. Being a Californian all my life it's always so exciting when it comes down like that. Thunder and lightning make me squeal with delight. It's so marvelous and we need the rain so much. It's beautiful. Besides, I love the way my roof sounds when it's raining, and I don't mind staying in all day as long as it's warm and I can read, paint or hang out with my kitties. The rain is like a mini-vacation. It always feels that way to me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: